Sunday 13 November 2011

Week 7: Mobile and Handheld Technologies in Education

Consider the use of mobile technology in your school or workplace. Upload to group blog and present in class.


For my secondary school in Hong Kong:


Over 10 years ago, when I was secondary 1-3, me and classmates were using electronic dictionary for learning English vocabulary and doing assignment during or after class.

Something like this: (the picture is from the internet)

Later, when I was form5, I just use pocket PC and netbook to find information by using internet Wifi during class.

My pocket PC: (picture of my brother's mobile phone and my pocket PC 2003, it still works!)


However, Pocket PC in class will become... Solitarie.. as those were the time not yet web2.0, no wiki, just msn, yahoo, google...


ASUS EEE PC small netbook was so popular when I was secondary 6/7  around 5 years ago: (picture from internet, mine was sold already) those were the day Google and Wikipedia started getting popular! I can find a lot of information of the answer of my assignments and scientific laboratory report!! :P


Actually, I was not allowed to bring expensive item such as mobile phone or computer back to school. I just use it inside my drawer. The Wifi network is for testing purpose for teachers' use only. However, it is not password-protected and I just "hack" into it for my own use anyway.


For my undergraduate study in HKU:

iPhone3G is my gift from dad and mum for entering University for studying computer science! The professor also suggest me to purchase one! I use it to log in HKU portal to check email and class timetable from course website and GOOGLE/WIKI ANYTIME ANYWHER!. I was still using EEE PC for reading lecture notes in class but the screen is too small and later I purchase MacBook:
As I was an engineering student, i need high performance computers for programming jobs. I took the macbook everyday with me for doing project and presentation with classmates.

Also in HKU i sometimes find this: ( Information Kiosks for campus navigation in the main campus, photo from Computer center, HKU)

I ever touched it once with friends. But I find this is not very useful as the campus is too noisy to listen to it. And I found it when I had been very familiar with the campus already!)


Recently when I had class of MITE6023
We can have online distance learning (via webcam of iMac):

 

(from my iPhone4's screen shot)

Last time when I was late for the lesson:
(via webcam of iPhone4, me was on bus stuck in cross harbor tunnel at 5-6pm!)

(Ricky was in lecture room!)

This is the most memorial experience of me on mobile learning! Although is not very stable for the video/audio/lecture notes sharing. But it is completely a new experience of mine on mobile learning!


Thank you!


Ted (Ng Yan Kit), Group 3, MITE6024 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Ted,

    I really appreciate about your experience of using mobile technology in education! In my middle school time, mobile phones were not allowed at school, and when in the computer class, we could only do limited work followed by teachers' instructions step by step.

    Now in HKU, it is good that we have so much resources. Besides, the remote online class was really interesting, except that sometimes technical problems may occur.

    ----
    Posted by Ricky CHAN KWOON KAY

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI, TED.
    I think that i really have the same experience with you more or less.
    We used electronic dictionary to self study, furthermore, as technology developing, we can use this machine to listen to the music and english reading instead of search word and vocabulary only, but it is still limited, such as low resolution, poor sound quality.

    Then PC netbook was created, bigger screen and much more function was added, and it can provided some study material download from the Internet.

    Finally, I am a student from China mainland, and in my undergraduate time,
    my university afforded little technology in campus and limited used in the class room, and nowdays, mobil phone's functions are more and more, such as iPhone, university can make a iPhone app in the apple store, and student can use this iPhone app convenient to get some useful education information, take HKU as example, hku 100, HKU CEDARS are available in iPhone,etc.

    Kingsley. HU YAXIONG

    ReplyDelete
  4. That recalls much of my memory. Technlogy cycle is getting shorter and shorter. A big hit this year might turn to a no-one-care item next year. Just look at iPhone.. A new model every year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's true mobile technology is becoming more affordable and widely available, but I have some concerns about those people who live in poverty might not be able to effort smartphones and lose the advantages of enhancing learning using this approach.

    ReplyDelete